Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Good morning to all, and to some good evening, good afternoon, and good night;

I am not sure what time many of you will be reading this posting so I figured I would cover all bases. We are here in Kurdistan now and it is very different then when we were in Dubai. We arrived at the airport and the first people we saw were Iraqi Military. They had to check us into the country. After getting through customs we went outside to meet Dr. Dawood Atrushi. He took us to Salahadin University. At the University we met with the President, Dr. Mohammad, and then drove to Dohuk that night. The drive was a revelation for me. I saw many people on the side of the road selling petrol and diesel. The surrounding hills were like a rolling sea of brown sand and rock broken apart by the stone-washed block houses of small villages clinging to existence. The hills gave way to the sudden rise of jagged mountains frosted with a light covering of snow barring witness to the frigged air tearing into the world around it. Dohuk is a jewel shinning up as a beacon of light from the jagged crown of the mountains surrounding it.

Upon arrival in Dohuk we were met by an eager young man named Amad. He is one of the assistances with the International Department for Dr. Dawood. He took us out to eat at a local restaurant where we were able to taste the local fare. Our first night in Kurdistan was spent in a hotel behind a supermarket. The lack of hot water was coupled with the plethora of power failures allowing the blasting heat from the wall mounted heater to subside graciously. I really did love the place that we were in. I cannot complain because where we are staying costs the same per night as some people make in a month.

The next morning Amad was waiting for us at exactly 8am. He took us to the college where we spent the rest of the day meeting the President of the University of Dohuk (Dr. Asmat), the Dean of the College of Arts (Dr. Mohammed), and the office staff in the International Office. We met Amana (the International Office Manager), Raghad (Translator), Nazik (Dr. Dawood’s Secretary), and other staff. I was really pleased with how happy everyone was to meet with us. The Kurdish people are very friendly and seem to have a love of Americans that goes beyond mere curiosity and nudges its way into pop-starish enamor. 

While at the English Department of the College of Fine Arts many of the students pointed at us and giggled. Many of the young girls went up to the women and wanted to test out their English. We men were regarded as oddities that spawned giggles and hurried phrases, but no-one seemed willing to run the risk of even talking to us. That is OK, we understood. I think the combination of seeing Americans not surrounded by armed guards and the students taking their last exam of the semester combined to make a very heady cocktail.

For a late lunch Amad took us to a nice hotel. The Presidents driver, Mr. Emad, also took a car so we would not overload Amad’s car. It was very nice of him to do so. Emad is a large man who looks like he can lift a horse. I think him and I will get along fine. Arriving at the hotel we saw over 15 armed private military. These were not your normal AK-47 toting fierce Peshmerga warriors but fully armed and armored Americans. When we walked into the hotel we saw a table filled with American Military and Civilians. Being the nice guy I am I walked over and said hello. I introduced myself as an American who was now living in Dohuk. It was a very nice meeting that lasted all of a minute. I think I may have made some friends.

Being with the Kurds I have been able to work on my Arabic and my Kurdish. I will share those words with you as I learn them myself. We will start with the ones I remembered to write down.

Thank you – Supas
Good Morning – Speda Bash
Good Afternoon – Evar Bash
Good Evening – Shar Bash
Good by – Bekhatrata
Good By (Reply) – prarbitchi

With every meal, meeting, greeting, whatever tea is served. If you like a lot of sugar then this is the place for you. A very important phrase to learn is how to ask for your tea with sugar or no sugar.

Be-shaker – No sugar
Ip-shaker – with sugar

And if you need to know this word, then you know how important it is to learn:

Dastshow = Bathroom.

Anyone who wants to learn how to count these are always fun.

Zero =Sufr
One =Eche
Two =Dou
Three =Se
Four =Char
Five =Pench
Six =Shesh
Seven =Huft
Eight =Husht
Nine =Nuh
Ten =Duh
Eleven =Yasdah


As my birthday is in January I learned how to say that.

January = Kanon Althani

OK this posting is already getting pretty long. I am going to let this be all for now. I will update you all with information as I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment